IGG Guide Farmer Safety on the Farm Section 1
Aim of Badge: To understand the elements of farming.
The Guide must complete four options taken from any of the four sections.
Download the story of Jessy: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Agriculture_and_Forestry/stay_safe_on_the_farm_with_jessy.pdf
1. Describe a number of farm safety guidelines including the working environment, animals, chemicals and machinery.
2. Discuss the points below followed by reading the story of Jessy. Combine the two with a game/quiz on where the dangers were for Jessy and her puppies on their visit to the farm.
How to avoid accidents on the farm:
• Chemicals - Chemicals should be safely stored in labelled containers in a locked store.
• Big bales - Never play near big bales.
• Slips, trips and falls - Keep the farmyard tidy for safety and efficiency.
• Bulls - Don’t be tempted to play in or near a field with a bull.
• Danger areas - Children should be kept out of danger areas. Check frequently that children cannot get into these areas e.g. slurry stores, silos, bulk storage hoppers, grain pits, and silage pits.
• Tractors and trailers - Never ride on the drawbar of a trailer or on a high load.
• Driving tractors - To drive a tractor on a public road you must be 16 and hold a licence. Many accidents involve children being run over or crushed by vehicles. Drivers need to be constantly aware that children could unexpectedly be in a position of danger.
Trefoil News Summer 2018
Attachments/Template needed for activity? Download the story of Jessy: http://www.hsa.ie/eng/Publications_and_Forms/Publications/Agriculture_and_Forestry/stay_safe_on_the_farm_with_jessy.pdf
- IGG Interest Badge Guides Farmer
- interest badge
- Trefoil News Summer 2018
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements