Baking Cakes inside photocopy paper boxes
Empty photocopy paper box per patrol
wire coat hanger per box
pair of pliers
roll of tinfoil per box
bbq briquettes (lit 30mins before activity)
house bricks to sit box on
Ingredients per patrol
125g / 4 1/2 oz softened butter
125g / 4 1/2 oz caster sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
125g / 4 1/2 oz self-raising flour
2 tbsp milk
Light BBQ briquettes in BBQ outside
Line the sides of the photocopy boxes with tin foil minimum 4 layers
Line the bottom and top of the photocopy boxes with tin foil minimum 6 layers
with a pair of pliers straiten the wire coat hanger and cut into lengths long enough to poke through both sides of box
Poke through both sides of box a small holes and fit wire to make rack to place cakes on leave gap at one end to place briquettes under
prepare cake mixture
1. Preheat the photocopy box with 3 BBQ briquettes.
2. Place the paper cases on table.
3. In a mixing bowl beat the butter and sugar until pale and fluffy. You can use an electric whisk or a wooden spoon.
4. Add the beaten egg, a little at a time, whisking to incorporate, and then beat in the vanilla.
5. Sift in half of the flour and fold into the mixture.
6. Add the milk and the rest of the flour and fold until well combined.
7. Spoon into the paper cases and bake for 6 minutes or until risen and might not go golden on top.
8. Allow to cool for ten minutes on a rack before eating.
- camp cooking
- food preparation
This activity doesn't complete any badge requirements