Cubs Athletics Plus Night
A evening of activities that satisfies both the Athletics 2012 and Athletics Plus badges
Tennis/cricket ball (cricket ball needed for athletics plus)
The attached "Points Sheet" document
1. Discuss appropriate clothing for athletics and the need for warm up and warm down. Anything else?
2. As a group, perform a warm up: Jogging slowly around, then some stretches.
3. Prepare the following bases. Cubs should advance through bases in their sixes. Award points per cub according to their success on the base.
Base A: Each throw a tennis/cricket ball as far as you can, measure the distance thrown: 25m = 3 points, 22m = 2 points, 18m = 1 point (points only relevant for cricket ball. You may want to adjust for tennis ball)
Each throw a football as far as you can, measure the distance thrown. (optional extra activity, no points)
Base B: Each sprint for 50m. Measure how long it took: 9s = 3 points, 10s = 2 points, 11s = 1 point.
Base C: As a group, run a 6 x 10m shuttle. Measure how long it took for the whole run: 18s = 3 points, 19s = 2 points, 20s = 1 point.
As a group, run a 1 x 20m shuttle then 1 x 30 shuttle. Measure how long it took for the whole run. (optional extra activity, no points)
Base D: Each do a sergeant jump. Measure the difference between their static highest reach and highest reach in the jump: 35cm = 3 points, 30cm = 2 points, 25cm = 1 point.
Base E: In Sixes complete 100m relay race. (optional base, no points for athletics plus)
4. As a group, all do an extra activity: assisted blind fold race or tug of war. No points.
5. As a group, perform a warm down: stretches.
All cubs that take part to the best of their ability get the Athletics badge. All cubs that get 8 or more points from four activities also get the Athletics Plus badge.
- athletics 2012
- Athletics - Clothing
- Athletics - Jumping
- Athletics - Relay
- Athletics - Shuttle
- Athletics - Sprint
- Athletics - Throwing
- Athletics - Warm up
- Athletics - [NONE]
- Athletics Plus - Events