Making poppys to remember Rememberance Sunday [ALTERNATE ACTIVITY]
red felt pieces petal shapes, green felt leaf shapes, black button, thread, needles, safety pins
1. Talking about the Poppy - Explain about what the Poppy is,
- Selling poppies raises money for the British Legion for their work with those who have or are serving in the armed forces and their families.
- 11 November is when we remember all those who died on active service.
- There is a 2 minuted silence at 11am on the 11th.
- The poppy was chosen to symbolise Rememberance day as it was the only thing that grew in No-mans land during WW1.
- There is often a parade or service in towns and cities on the Sunday nearest 11 Nov, to commemorate those who have died.
2. Make a poppy
Place one poppy piece on top of another, add the leaf behind, sew the button on through all pieces. Finally sew on safety pin.
3. Colouring and word searches for those that finish.